Our guest this week is Margot Leitman, entrepreneur, author, and teacher. Her recent book, Long Story Short, is a hysterical and illuminating text that shows you the importance of creating authentic emotion, and how that relates to your brand story.
She has been featured five times by the non-profit group, The Moth, and is the first NYC participant whose storytelling scored a perfect 10. Today Margot is sharing her story as a young comedian who learned just how powerful story can be.
Learn the most important steps rules for great storytelling, the best methods of approaching your business with a narrative, and how you can lead a story-worthy life.
In This Show, You’ll Learn:
- Importance of authenticity and emotion in your story
- How can your life’s stories make you more interesting?
- Leading a story-worthy life
- “Don’t you want to hire the person who’s more interesting?” – Margot Leitman
- “If we don’t root for you, it’s really hard for us to listen to your story.” – Margot Leitman
- “Storytelling felt authentic, and comedy did not.” – Margot Leitman
- “I’m not looking for a timeline, it’s the emotions behind it that make things interesting.” – Margot Leitman
- “I’m often asked ‘can I really tell stories in a business environment?’ and the answer is always yes.” – Park Howell
- “Story lets us try on trouble.” – Park Howell
Mentioned In This Episode:
- Margot Leitman
- Margot Leitman Twitter
- Long Story Short
- A Very Tiny Grownup
- Six Rules for Master Storytelling
- The Moth
- Random House
- JK Rowling
About Business of Story Podcast
The Business of Story is hosted by trusted brand story strategist and keynote speaker Park Howell and is among the top business and marketing podcasts geared toward founders, CEOs, entrepreneurs, solopreneurs, and communication leaders.
Each episode brings you the brightest content creators, advertising creatives, authors, screenwriters, makers, marketers, and brand raconteurs that show you how to make your brand story marketing stand out and achieve epic growth in your organization.
Listen To More Episodes