We all have a unique story to tell and you need to communicate it in a way that can connect and convert your prospects to customers. But you’re not sharing the experiences and stories that allow your audience to see the world as they see it, walking in their shoes and inspiring empathy within them.
On this final 2021 edition of the Business of Story, I’m bringing in JJ Ramberg, the co-founder of Goodpods to help us understand how to find your shared experiences that will resonate with your audience. JJ and her brother Ken Ramberg created Goodpods, the new social podcasting app (think Instagram or Twitter for podcasts) where you can follow your friends, influencers and favorite podcasters to see what they’re listening to and discover new shows. They also created a search engine called DogDog that helps feed dogs in need with every search. To date, DogDog has donated more than $7 million!
JJ was named to Inc. Magazine’s Female Founders 100 and Goodpods was listed as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in 2021. She was a reporter for four years at CCN covering stories ranging from Hurricane Katrina to the NYSE. She was also the co-host of The Flipside, a talk show focused on the business news of the day.
Before launching GoodPods, JJ was an anchor on MSNBC for 12 years. She also hosted the podcast, Been There Built That where she interviewed thousands of entrepreneurs and business leaders to tell the stories of how they built their organizations and how they dealt with setbacks along the way. Her guests have included the likes of Neil Blumenthal of Warby Parker, Jim Koch of Boston Beer Co, John Foley of Peloton, Jamie Kern Lima of It Cosmetics, Spencer Rascoff of Zillow, and Bobbi Brown.
Today, you’ll learn about the importance of shared experience to capture an audience’s attention and we’ll explore the premise that the power of storytelling rests in the specifics. We’re also diving into how GoodPods can help you find and share the stories you love.
Discussed in this episode
- Why Goopods was created and how it all works
- What are shared experiences and how you can find your shared experience so that it actually resonates with your audience
- Why you need to be clear on the problem you are solving and tips on how you can clearly articulate your story
- The importance of first finding connection with your story and then getting into the details of how you can solve your audience’s problem
- Why podcast listeners and podcasters need to be on Goodpods
- JJ’s prediction on what’s next for the podcasting industry in terms of monetization and discoverability
- Strategies on how to quickly and successfully launch your podcast and promote it to increase your listenership
- What differentiates GoodPods from all the major listening apps like Apple Podcasts and Spotify in discoverability of your show and building your community
- Connect with JJ on LinkedIn
- Connect with Goodpods on LinkedIn
- Follow JJ on Twitter
- Follow Goodpods on Twitter
- Grab your copy of The Narrative Gym for Business
- Click here for your The ABT’s of Selling™ online quick course