Our goal with Business of Story is to help you create your brand, and in the process, we have fine-tuned our own story crafting procedure. The workbook is a wonderful developmental tool, but not everyone has a clear idea of what that program is. That’s why today I’m going to work with a listener like you to demonstrate the 10 Step Story Cycle in action.
For the past 97 episodes, we have brought you guests from around the world to share their wisdom in crafting a compelling story for your brand. This week, we’re doing the opposite.
We’ve invited a long-time listener, Jonathan Barney, founder of Inspired.Service, to demonstrate the 10 Step Story Cycle Program. Jonathan is a service industry veteran and a young entrepreneur who has bravely volunteered to join us and discuss his story.
In this episode we follow the simple guidelines of our brand storytelling workbook: Own Your Story: Your DIY Guide to Craft And Tell Compelling Brand Stories That Sell, and using Jon’s experiences and motivations, we create a powerful business story.
Join us as we take his incipient business, apply the 10 step story cycle to his work, and produce the beginnings of a strong brand narrative. Learn how you too can own your story.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn
- The four-step exercise: identifying your brand’s place in the market
- How to apply the ten-step story cycle to your brand
- Learning to love your antagonists
- “That story was not a huge thing, but it triggered a passion in him” – Park Howell
- “You want to boil it down to your position in the marketplace. What is your service that nobody else can deliver?” – Park Howell
- “What you want to do is really understand your audience’s story.” – Park Howell
- “What is at stake for your audience? What is it they want?” – Park Howell
- “Who is the hero? It’s not the brand, it’s the customer.” – Park Howell
- “Someone has to be the first monkey shot into space. I’m glad it was me.” – Jonathan Barney
Mentioned In This Episode
- Jon Barney Twitter
- 12 Personality Archetypes
- DIY Story Cycle Notebook
- Carl Jung
- Zig Ziglar
- The Simpsons
- Red Bull
- Star Wars
Business Story Strategist, Keynote Speaker and Brand Raconteur
Park Howell is a trusted brand story strategist and sought-after keynote speaker on story marketing. He has helped international brands, including Coca-Cola, Beyer Pharmaceutical, Cummins Diesel, American Express, and United States Air Force.
The widely popular Business of Story podcast helps leaders of purpose-driven organizations clarify their stories to grow revenue and amplify their impact. Each episode brings you the brightest content creators, advertising creatives, authors, screenwriters, makers, marketers, and brand raconteurs that show you how to craft and tell compelling brand stories that sell.Listen To More Episodes