So you think you want to write a book and share even more of your fantastic stories? Or maybe you just want to become more prolific with your blog.
But you’ve got writer’s block. Or worse. Burnout.
In this episode of The Business of Story, we’re joined by Brock Swinson, author of Ink by the Barrel: Secrets From Prolific Writers and host of the Creative Principles Podcast.
Brock has interviewed some of the biggest names in the entertainment industry, including Aaron Sorkin, Ethan Hawke, and Judd Apatow, and is now sharing his insights with novice writers.
One of the most effective ways Brock helps his clients is by exploring sub-genres and niches within their niche. It’s amazing how many parallels you can draw between your own experiences and those of your audience when you take the time to dig deep and find the common threads.
But one of the biggest challenges is coming up with stories about yourself that feel valuable and meaningful.
Brock believes the stories that feel too obvious or too personal are often the ones that resonate the most with others. They’re the stories that help you connect with your audience on a deeper level and build trust with them over time.
So don’t be afraid to share your own experiences and let your personality shine through. It’s what sets you apart and makes you unique.
Brock’s book is divided into three parts – Time, Voice, and Process – and is packed with advice on how to become a more prolific writer.
He believes that giving away your work for free is one of the best ways to develop trust with your audience and that the only way to merge creativity and productivity is to become prolific. According to Brock, “You will find quality through quantity.”
Brock shares his tips for getting started as a writer, including using borrowed authority if you feel like your story isn’t important.
He also discusses his ambitious goal of giving away 100,000 copies of Ink by the Barrel in 2023, and how he’s using writing challenges and competitions to reach that goal. If you’re a writer looking to improve your craft and find your voice, you won’t want to miss this episode. Tune in now to hear from one of the industry’s most prolific voices.
Discussed in this episode:
- Give away as much of your knowledge as you can to build trust.
- Why your best work is still ahead of you.
- We examine the intersection of creativity and productivity and how to become prolific by becoming selfish with your time so that you can serve more people.
- How and why to use “borrowed authority” to build your credibility and influence.
- Brock Swinson on LinkedIn
- Download your FREE copy of Ink By The Barrel
- Brock on Twitter
- Creative Principles Podcast
Related Episodes You’ll Love:
- #264: How to Make Your COmplex Story Simpl and Compelling with Robert Wilson
- #206: How Storytelling Turns Argument Into a Positive Discussion with Jerry Graff & Cathy Birkenstein
- #22: How to Use Adversity to Your Advantage With Your Brand Storytelling with Jen Grisanti
Your Storytelling Resources:
Connect with me:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/parkhowell/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BusinessOfStory
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ssjBuBiQjG9PHRgq4Fu6A
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ParkHowell
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/parkhowell/
- Website: https://businessofstory.com/abt/