When was the last time you blew away an audience with your statistics, your charts, graphs and numbers?
Perhaps you looked out on the crowd and saw them dozing off or staring out the window.
And then you inserted a seemingly insignificant personal story that grabbed their attention.
You were surprised by their reaction, especially given that this was a little anecdote that delivered a powerful punch.
In this conversation, Ty Bennett, author of The Power of Storytelling: The Art of Influential Communication, discusses the power of storytelling in marketing, leadership, and sales.
He shares personal experiences and insights on how storytelling can engage and move people. Ty emphasizes the importance of struggle and solution in storytelling and provides a formula for influential storytelling.
He encourages individuals to be aware of storytelling opportunities, capture stories, and record themselves to improve their storytelling skills. Ty’s book, ‘The Power of Storytelling,’ offers further guidance on mastering the art of storytelling.
Ty Bennett is the Owner & CEO of the largest Ninja Warrior Gym in the world and its not stopping there – soon he will have three Ninja Warrior Gyms to add to his portfolio. An active CEO and serial entrepreneur, he has built three multi-million dollar businesses in three different industries.
Ty and his brother built a direct sales business to over $20 million in annual revenues, while in their 20’s, and developed a system and organization that would help over 500 leaders fine-tune their sales and leadership skills in over 37 countries.
He was featured as one of the Top 40 Under 40 and dubbed one of the 10 Coolest Entrepreneurs in Utah.
Ty has founded Leadership Inc., a training company with a mission to empower individuals and organizations to challenge their status quo, cultivate exceptional relationships, and compete in extraordinary ways.
He is the author of three best-selling books which are used in graduate courses at multiple universities including MIT, as today’s version of “How to Win Friends and Influence People”
- Partnership is the New Leadership.
- The Power of Influence: Increase Your Income and Personal Impact
- The Power of Storytelling: The Art of Influential Communication.
He has traversed the world speaking to tens of thousands of audience members transforming the lives, careers, and business practices of leaders from some of the most recognizable brands in the world such as: Coca-Cola, Subway, Blue Cross Blue Shield and RE/MAX.
Discussed in this episode:
- Storytelling is a powerful tool in marketing, leadership, and sales.
- Struggle and solution are key elements in influential storytelling.
- Personal stories are often the most impactful and relatable.
- Recording and reviewing storytelling performances can help improve storytelling skills.
- 00:00 Introduction and Background
- 01:21 The Power of Storytelling in Marketing
- 04:32 Personal Experiences with Storytelling
- 06:18 Writing the Book ‘The Power of Storytelling’
- 08:35 Mistakes in Communication without Storytelling
- 10:34 Impact of Storytelling on Leaders and Salespeople
- 12:28 The Formula for Influential Storytelling
- 15:07 The Most Popular Story in the World
- 17:51 The Lightning Round: Tips for Better Storytelling
- 32:50 Conclusion and Where to Learn More
Listen to Related Episodes You’ll Love:
- #14: Secrets of Story’s Influence with Annette Simmons
- #360: How to Use Storytelling in Your Influencer Marketing with Jason Falls
- #365: Video Tips for Virtual Sales and Marketing Storytelling with Julie Hansen
Your Storytelling Resources:
Connect with me:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/parkhowell/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BusinessOfStory
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ssjBuBiQjG9PHRgq4Fu6A
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ParkHowell
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/parkhowell/
- Website: https://businessofstory.com/abt/