This week, we’re doing something different from the past 179 episodes. It’s my turn to be on the hot seat and my guest, Wanita Z-Fourie, will be the one asking the questions. In this show, we discuss how to use storytelling to grow your following.
Wanita is an African Kiwi and a social media professional who founded The Online Business Academy and the annual Social Media Conference New Zealand, where I’m honored to be a speaker. She tours the world to speak and teach different businesses and organizations about social media marketing. Her travels became a great medium for her to experience the world first hand, which enabled her to learn different ways to tell a story with authenticity and integrity. Both qualities are essential in ensuring the success of storytelling in social media.
On this show, Wanita will share how authentic storytelling is essential in growing your online following. She’ll teach you how you can be genuine in your communication and still get your points across. You’ll also learn how to tell stories based on what your heroes (aka your customers) really want and need, as part of your business branding.
As we discuss how I grow my following on the Business of Story, I share the origin story of the Story Cycle System — the 12 Steps in Campbell’s The Hero’s Journey, which I refined into 10 shorter steps to fit into the business world.
Because when you focus on using the steps of the Story Cycle System, your social media marketing and communications can become easier by using your power of narrative intuition.
In This Episode, You Will Learn
- The intentional approach to brand storytelling
- How to use storytelling to grow a following in social media
- How to communicate with authenticity and integrity
- The role of empathy in telling an authentic story
“Social media is about people. Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube are just mediums for people to use to communicate. For people to listen to us. To connect. To be able to get out there and make a difference.” — Wanita Z-Fourie
“Understanding and empathy are essential in being an authentic storyteller.” —Wanita Z-Fourie
“There’s no right or wrong. Just different.” — Wanita Z-Fourie
“Encourage every person to live in another person’s shoes for a while. To be more empathetic and eventually, be more authentic.” — Wanita Z-Fourie
Mentioned In This Episode
- Social Media Conference NZ on March 1 and 2 2019
- Social Media Marketing World in San Diego on March 20 – 22, 2019
- The Online Business Academy
- Great Barrier Island
- Go Great Barrier Island Facebook
- Great Barrier Island Official Instagram
- Janene’s Ice Dreams – Great Barrier Island
- Good Heavens Stargazing Tours – Great Barrier Island
- How To Dad: Jordan Watson
- The And But Therefore: Randy Olson and the Art of Science Storytelling
- BoS EP#141 with Kris Herbert: How To Use Small-Batch Brand Storytelling to Connect People with Place
- BoS EP#123 with Cassie Roma: How To Tell Brand Stories On Purpose that Resonate with Your Audience
- Story Cycle System: Business of Story
- The Hero’s Journey: Joseph Campbell
- The Writer’s Journey by Christopher Vogler