Looking at Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey alongside my Story Cycle System™, it’s like comparing classical mythology to a modern business strategy.
Campbell’s approach, the Hero’s Journey, takes storytellers on a grand adventure through archetypal stages—trials, mentors, battles, and self-discovery. It’s the stuff of timeless myths, ingrained in our collective consciousness.
Now, contrast that with my Story Cycle System—a pragmatic guide for crafting narratives that not only resonate but also drive results in the boardroom.
I mapped the Hero’s Journey to business communications guided by my 10-step Story Cycle System that has grown brand by as much as 600 percent.
It’s less about the hero’s mythical quest and more about strategically weaving a story that captivates and delivers real-world impact.
Campbell’s central character may be wielding a mythical sword, but in my world, the protagonist brandishes a narrative crafted to cut through the noise of a crowded marketplace.
It’s a different tune, one that blends emotion with a keen business edge.
In essence, Campbell and I bring different flavors to the storytelling table. He taps into the timeless human experience, while I strike a more contemporary chord, emphasizing the practical power of narrative in the business realm.
Together, we invite storytellers to embark on a dual quest—honoring ancient rhythms while strategically leveraging storytelling in the modern landscape.
In this episode, I show you how my origin story can be naturally outlined following every step of the Hero’s Journey and how you can use this ancient storytelling artform to guide the crafting of your origin story.
Or, better yet, you can use the Story Cycle System™ for the same purpose but with an eye to creating compelling business narratives to connect with and convert your customers.
Discussed in this episode:
- How Joseph Campbell’s Hero’s Journey shows up throughout our lives.
- What inspired the idea for the Story Cycle System™.
- How you can these two narrative frameworks to shape your origin story.
- Grab your copy of Brand Bewitchery: How to Wield the Story Cycle System™ to Craft Spellbinding Stories for Your Brand
- Watch my short video series on how to use the Story Cycle System™ to craft spellbinding stories for your brand.
Listen to the Other Chapters of Brand Bewitchery:
- #420: Ch. 1, Backstory: How to Clarity Your Brand Story for Deliberate Growth
- #421: Ch. 2, Heroes: How to Understand Your Customers to Build a Tribe
- #423: Ch. 3, Stakes: How to Connect With the Wishes and Wants of Your Customers
- #424: Ch. 4, Disruption: How Your Unique Value Proposition Will Win the Day
- #426: Ch. 5, Antagonists: How to Capitalize on Competitive Forces
- #427: Ch. 6, Mentor: How to Humanize Your Brand With its Promise, Gift, and Personality
- #429: Ch. 7, Journey: How to Increase Customer Engagement Through the Stories You Tell
- #430: Ch. 8, Victory: How to Celebrate Wins Along the Customer Journey From Brand Awareness to Appreciation
- #432: Ch. 9, Moral: How to Declare Your Brand’s Purpose to Amplify Your Impact
- #433: Ch. 10, Ritual: How to Build Repeat Business to Simplify Your Life
- #435: How to Debut and Scale Your New Brand Story
Your Storytelling Resources:
Connect with me:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/parkhowell/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BusinessOfStory
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0ssjBuBiQjG9PHRgq4Fu6A
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ParkHowell
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/parkhowell/
- Website: https://businessofstory.com/abt/